Tuesday, 16 September 2014

Preparing for the loooong winter

In the middle of all the projects I finally started one of the big ones which has been postponed for too long, the rearrangement of my working station. There are three reasons for this.


  1. My son is showing some interest about painting and building stuff so of course I will make a place for him beside of my own
  2. I need more storage space for my hexes and the town gate so I upgraded one of the cabinets for a bigger one
  3. The winter and the cold is coming and that means that it´s almost impossible to paint the underpaint outside for the minis and terrain so I have to have a painting station inside. This means that I have to purchase a spray booth also because I use an airbrush. I will buy this one because it fits nicely on my desk and it has the extension hose which leads all the bad microparticle-stuff outside. This way my son can also try the airbrush safely.
Everything started with some screwing, measuring, mistakes, swearing, doing again, planning and all the usual stuff which occurs when I start to do something. 

I will also relocate the lights, my music speakers and all the cords. Now it´s the chance to make the place well worth of spending some quality hobby time!

Saturday, 13 September 2014

Zombicide Season 1 fully painted!

Finally got the time and energy to shoot all the season 1 miniatures. You can find the pics from the Zombicide-page on the right.

It´s always funny to photograph your own miniatures because it gives you some self respect that you have really complished something worth of photographing. Here is my homemade photo set-up:





Sadly I have lost all my backround papers so I had to shoot against white. Have to find those before next shooting session.

Now that the Season one is painted and played through it´s time to start the Season 2! I think that this one is little bit faster to paint because many of the zombies have the same prison outfit ans there fore the same paint scheme. I also backed up the Season 3 so there will be lot´s of zombies to paint in the near future!

Friday, 12 September 2014

Sometimes you just don´t think things through, part II

Well, sometimes all the little irritating stuff just happens at the same time.

After the little drilling accident I fixed the well and glued the magnet in to it´s base. After the glue dried I tried the well on to the well-hex and go figure, the magnet was glued upside down so it rejected the base! Splendid!

I but the well aside and started to do some painting because you can´t really mess up when you paint the base coat. But behold, just if something looks good after the construction it doesn´t mean that it´s easy to paint. What did I think when I build this one with the torches and all?


Wednesday, 10 September 2014

Sometimes you just don´t think things through...

Thinking process after the situation:

"So you really, really, thought that it was a good idea to use power drill on your half ready, fully handmade and fragile foam terrain object?"


Friday, 5 September 2014

Small chores..

Well, the painting continues..


While the paint dries I had to figure out something to do. I have planned to use magnets here and there and though to give those a try. 


At the early stages of planning I decided to make all the tall objects removable to make the storage of the hexes easier. There will be some pilars and it was easy to try the magnets here. So some drilling, a magnet and a metal ring, glue and some waiting to give the glue some drying time.



When the glue dried I realized that the bond between the magnet and the ring wasn´t nearly as strong as I hoped. The pilar dropped off as soon I tilted the hex. What a shame. I decided to try two magnets with the base of the statue and this was much more better.

This is a minor setback because I had planned to use the exact combo of magnet+ring on the hexes but that would be a hit and a miss if even a small pilar can brake the bond. It will be quite costly to use two magnets so I have to think about this little bit further.

Wednesday, 3 September 2014

Minor tweaking..

Sometimes it´s worthless to try to be accurate. I realized this when I tried to fit the hexes together. Because all of them are handmade there is always some minor differences and those really show up when trying to make "perfectly" invisible edges. I understood that only the top hex have to be precise. The lower hex and the mdf-base doesn´t have to be perfect and it would be even better that those would be little smaller than the top hex to make the seam invisible.


This led me to make some adjusments to the hexes. I decided to cut 0.5cm off from the edges of the mdf and then cut the lower hex slightly inclinated.  For the mdf I used my strusted and surgeon-precise saw!


It´s quite nerve wragging to cut a nearly finished piece but a man´s got to do what a man´s got to do.


Then some sliceing! (is that a word?)


I also had to file the edges of the hedges after the glue+sand mic because it was not as accurate that I had hoped.


This worked quite good. I won´t post a pic of this yet, because I started to paint the hexes(!!!!!YEAH!!!) and I want to show how this works when the current pieces are finished!

Monday, 1 September 2014

Surprise!!

I was cleaning our storage and stumbled upon a forgotten treasure, War of the Ring boardgame!!


I bought this as soon it was on sale years ago and it was my first BIG boardgame. I remember playing 7-9h straight with my friend and all of the games were thrilling to the very end.

What makes this even more important to me is the fact that the figures of this game ignited my passion for miniatures and terrain. Of course, this game is fully painted and I think I just have to post some pictures of the minis. I also bought the add-on game so I have to keep on searching for that in the depths of our storage.